Monday, January 18, 2010

Bon Appetit

Yesterday(Sunday) was one of those days in life where things just seem to work out. For some reason my body has not been sleeping past 6:30 or 7:30 since Wed. I just take that to mean that I have to much stuff to do to sleep and my body is now realizing that (I wish it figured this out 3 years ago). Usually the precursor to me waking up has been what I call preemptive dreams (PD) almost like premonitions (flash back to some episode of Charmed,lol) about WISE the group I run here at school. The one yesterday was about our Dutty Carnival party. Although everything is set up and ready my PD usually shows me the worse case scenario and then when I wake up...I do everything so that what I just saw doesn't happen. Unfortunately the thoughts aren't always the most ethical answers but having them provides movement to the correct method..usually. Some people may say that's a little crazy but if at the end of the day the event turns out great then I'm ok with that.

After waking up and writing down everything I would need to do I decided to watch a movie. I know the more productive thing would have been to do some work but its a three day weekend..I deserve a break (pssht midterms in 2 weeks and most people are just getting back to school now..smh..Drexel). The movie choice was Julie and Julia, not your typical male movie but staying in boxes are for losers. For anyone that does know me you know that I have a serious joy in cooking, baking more specifically, so this movie had an automatic attraction for me. I must say that this movie was surprisingly pleasing. I think it was because from the beginning I could understand how Julie felt moving to Queens and working her rather repetitive mundane job. Moving to philly was like that for me and the repetition of classes just as mundane (thank you God for Major changes). She had to find a release, something that she was passionate about, something that she could continue doing even without the support of her family (which she didn't have at the beginning). With the support of her husband she managed to start writing a blog about her "adventure" cooking all of Julia Childs recipes. For me I think it would be dancing. I love baking but lets face it as a college student who isn't close to home the chances of me making puff pastries and cakes on my budget are doubtful. Never the less after watching this movie I was inspired to cook (by the way...I think Meryl Streep is an amazing actress).

I sent out an invitation via text to 5 (which turned to 6) friends that I wanted to cook for. I tell them all the time that yes I can cook and en light of this new found inspiration I decided to prove it. I had "You are cordially invited to dinner @8pm in [my apartment] menu:Chicken, mixed vegetables, basil rice drinks will be served. Please feel free to add food/drinks to the dinner. Casual Dressy attire". I tried my best to seem uppity, lol. From there I proceeded to finish my statistics homework and walk in the rain to fresh grocers to pick up Truffle cheese, mixers, coconut milk, and butter (ie secret to life). Thankfully I decided to make a recipe that would be able to serve 3 large chicken breast to 7 people so I didn't have to worry about some foods. [side note...if you are a student in university city..take a cab or bus to Shop n Save it is ridiculously cheaper that Fresh Grocers..your pockets will thank you]. I also had to buy grocery store bought dessert which I am not a huge fan of unless I'm going to a potluck. My initial intention was to buy sponge cake and then fix it up with whipped cream and strawberries in the middle and make some type of reduction to spoon over the top of it but unfortunately they had no sponge cake so I bought Red velvet and ice cream..the more fattening option, lol.

In the next two and a half hours I baked rolls, cooked seared chicken in coconut sauce, made basil rice, steamed vegetables, lit candles, set out crackers with truffle cheese and honey nut cream cheese spread, found music play list, sliced Hawaiian round, set up regular and martini glasses with a drink list of red wine, sour aplletini, raspberry apple lemonade, and Apple Caprianchi (if you can't tell by now the secret alcohol was Smirnoff Green Apple,lol), and finally ironed my shirt so that I wouldn't look like the house slave when everyone was sitting for dinner. Some of my friends asked what the special occasion was to the dinner and I said I was inspired by Julie and Julia to do something I love for my friends. Of course since that was my inspiration I had to at least say several times while serving the food out or greeting "Bon Appetit!" in my best Julia Childs impersonation with equal laughs, smile and horrible impersonations back. Overall the dinner ended very well. The food was delicious on all accounts according to my friends, everyone thinks I should be a bartender and I got to include my friends in on something that I love.

I would speak on the club experience [my co. and another had an event at Fisos which moved to XO's Lounge next door] afterwords but lets just say...your friends are not always the people you want to do business with (not speaking on the friends at the dinner).

soo..I know Im suppose to write a poem at the end but...I started writing and couldn't finish it so I put it in the notepad on my comp...with the other unfinished poem..lol

With my best voice..

Bon Appetit!

Continued Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment